Living Stones Built into a Spiritual House
April 22, 2018 | Lisa Degrenia
Passage: 1 Peter 2:4-10
In this metaphor from 1 Peter, Jesus is the Cornerstone, at first rejected but later recognized as the Foundation for our salvation and the salvation of the world. The marble used by Michelangelo to carve David was rejected multiple times before it became a masterpiece in the master's hands.
As Jesus' followers, his Church, we are living stones built into a spiritual house.
- We become the meeting place with God, individually and especially together.
- We take on our true identity and calling as Jesus' chosen, royal, holy priesthood. make sacrifices worship and pray and serve proclaim/testify
- We recognize and testify that we are God’s children and that we've received the mercy of God. What we receive we can offer to others.
Look what God can do
- the rejected are now wanted
- the abandoned are now chosen
- those who have been named too flawed become a masterpiece
- those who are lost and wandering in inky darkness come into the marvelous, shimmering light of Jesus
Jesus calls us and gathers us in beautiful and unique ways. Come along as we explore Biblical images of what it means to be God’s people.